Friday 23 July 2010

Walking alone or with a companion(s)

When on pilgrimage or a long-distance walk, I enjoy walking with a companion(s) but often need space to walk alone with my own thoughts and unfettered from the demands and needs and wishes of others, and my preference is to walk intermittently on my own.  I enjoy my own company and also the company of others and joyful repartee - very much so. I view walking as meditation - walking Zen; step by step I make my way through blue sky temples and white  cloud monasteries. Pilgrimages are among the most demanding, and therefore most rewarding, of all religious disciplines.

I've been searching for over a year for some companions to form a small group to walk from Rome, Italy to Jerusalem, Israel. However, no one has come forward and it's my intention to nevertheless set-off next year, regardless. I'm concerned that if I wait too much longer I may not be able undertake such a journey as I will celebrate my 68th birthday next year. I'm realistic; nevertheless, I would prefer to walk with companions. So be it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    Maybe you will find a walking companion if you create a group on the Xacobeo website?
    http://camino.xacobeo.es/en/comunidad-peregrinos/grupos

    Buen camino!
    Ivar

    ReplyDelete