Wednesday 28 July 2010

La Mancha

The peerless Camino passes through La Mancha - a vast elevated plateau of Spain. I read that it is variously arid and fertile. However, during the course of our journey it was wet and in places almost impassable due to flooding.

And, yes we did pass by the very windmills made famous by Miguel Cervantes' Don Quixote de La Mancha, and I did very much enjoy the many sculptural representations of the chivalrous, romantic hero and his squire Sancho Panzo and beloved Dulcinea.

Placido Domingo's singing Don Quixote continues to ring in my ears:

Hear me now
Oh thou bleak and unbearable world,
Thou art base and debauched as can be;
And a knight with his banners all bravely unfurled
Now hurls down his gauntlet to thee!
I am I, Don Quixote,
The Lord of La Mancha,
My destiny calls and I go,
And the wild winds of fortune
Will carry me onward,
Oh whithersoever they blow.
Whithersoever they blow,
Onward to glory I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment