Tuesday 27 July 2010

How would pilgrims with special dietary needs fare on the Camino

I have previously written about my life as a committed vegetarian, and the difficulties I encountered on the Camino in Spain as a solo pilgrim surrounded by unremitting carnivores - difficulties that at times drove me to despair. That started me thinking about people with special dietary requirements (e.g., gluten, egg, wheat free diets),  and those with religious dietary requirements, and how they would fare on pilgrimage in Spain. I don't have an answer or a solution. Except, that groups of people with special dietary needs would fare better than if alone. Spanish society is too traditional to cater for such people, particularly if alone, of that I'm certain, and that's unfortunate. Not even in the cities. That's my experience, and I stand to be corrected, as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment