Tuesday 29 June 2010

Prepare for inclement weather

I began my pilgrimage on 8 April 2010 and was surprised by the inclement weather on the route. I guess that my romantic idea of Spain as a land of sunshine was unrealistic and erroneous. I did enjoy sunshine and snow on the peaks in Galicia (splendid); however less so the cold, wind, rain, hail, lightning, thunderstorms, floods, river crossings. So be prepared if you also plan to set-off around this time of year. There were several days when my rucksack was empty of clothes as I was wearing them to ward of the cold. I would have enjoyed a pair of gloves and a woolly hat.

If your footwear is not waterproof then take a pair of waterproof breathable socks such as Sealskinz. I did and they were essential for crossing wet and flooded terrain, and they are extremely comfortable. I know walkers in the United Kingdom who wear nothing else - all year round.

I refuse to wear a poncho - they are cheap and nasty and plainly awful, and uncomfortable. I did try a poncho on a walk and stuffed it in a garbage bin, at the first opportunity. I carry a rucksack cover and a brilliant waterproof breathable raincoat, and I'm sure that's the best combination to keep my rucksack and myself dry. And, it works, and looks good. I also used various snaplock bags to store documents and such like, and a pillow protector to store my clothes.

On occasions when no pillows were provided I stuffed my fleece in the pillow protector - to create a great soft comfortable pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment