Wednesday 30 June 2010

Pilgrims I met: Zamora to Santiago de Compostela to finish at the lighthouse of Finesterre

This section of some 490-km was in stark contrast with the walk from Valencia to Zamora: scenically, socially, physically. I arrived at Zamora from Torro and that was quite a distance to cover, and was struck by the magnificence of the city and glad to be there. The albergue's door didn't open until 3:30-pm and was quickly filled to the rafters with pilgrims, and that aspect of the pilgrimage I had not previously experienced. I observed the competition, urgency, pushing and shoving and the unnecessary elaborate and lengthy registration procedure.

Over the next few days, alliances, friendships were newly formed. My new friends were a collection of Spaniards, Germans, Italians and a mishmash of other nationalities. I found myself adjusting and adapting to these many and different people, and that was great. I was able to learn and build on my Spanish language skills, and teach English.

The albergues in Galicia were excellent and of recent construction and well planned and thought-out. The more recent ones had fully automated light control and there was not a light switch in sight. They were all priced at €4.00.

The route passes through some of the most splendid and spectacular scenery to be found on planet Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment