Tuesday 1 June 2010

My shoes

My shoes

These are my ASICS - Gel-Trabuco 11 WR trainers with Vasyli orthotic inserts after a walk of 1,290-km. They remain in generally good condition with the exception of the internal heel lining – and, that requires attention by ASICS as an alternative wear resistant material is indicated. The shoes were able to withstand the most horrific off-road walking conditions, and that amazed me in no small measure.

These shoes suit my feet and feel like a pair of well-worn slippers. They are roomy with lots of wiggle room and lightweight, and above all else extremely comfortable. I’m sure that footwear remains a significant problem for many pilgrims. I observed the full range of foot problems and general discomfort they experienced and that was evident by the rush to rid themselves of their shoes at every opportunity. I’m not suggesting that these shoes have a universal application as it’s obvious that feet are unique to each person. Nevertheless when confronted by the scale of misery I observed it’s time that long-distance walkers look outside the box and consider alternatives to the traditional sturdy walking boot.

People in no small measure remain locked-in to the urban myths that surrounds walking footwear, and which manufacturers and others capitalise on. I’m certain that much is fallacious, and results in walkers being harmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment