Wednesday 2 June 2010

On reaching Santiago de Compostela, Spain

I reached Santiago de Compostela at around 10:30-am, and rushed to secure a bed for two nights at the Albergue Seminario Menor (a single room for €15.00 per night), request the Compostela, to certify my pilgrimage, at the rather crowded Oficina de Acogida de Peregrinos, and most importantly attend the pilgrim holy mass at mid-day.

It was during holy mass that I spoke with a priest, and explained to him my motivation for setting-of on pilgrimage. I asked him for detailed guidance and the steps necessary to be granted a plenary indulgence. These were: confess my sins, receive holy communion, pray, and attend Sunday holy mass. That seemed straightforward.

A plenary indulgence means that by the merits of Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints, the full remission of the temporal punishment due to sacramentally forgiven sins is obtained. The person becomes as if just baptized and would fly immediately to heaven if he died in that instant.

Two days later I set-off for Cape Finisterre – the end of the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment